View Single Post
Old 11th January 2016, 10:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Two films for me over the weekend inbetween studying for my assignments;

First up was a rental from Amazon - Dressed As A Girl (2015) a documentary about the East London alternative drag scene!

It started off a little ropey with scenes of pure hedonism and copious amount of drug taking - but it was just throwing the viewer in at the deep end, we soon got to know the characters behind the costumes and soon it was quite clear that they are all damaged in their own ways and using drag as an escape. after I got past the first 10-15 minutes I really started to enjoy the film and got quite emotional by the end!

Next up was some French New Wave on bluray, Vivre Sa Vie (1962) by Godard.

I've never seen this one, it was a blind buy but it was only £10.99 and I took a chance after having seen Breathless (Á Bout de Souffle) a few years back and I loved it. This one is very much in a different tone, a woman in her early twenties trying to come to terms with growing older and her steady decline into prostitution in order to get by. The story is fairly slim but the performances and the direction are outstanding. Some of the camera work was dizzying and I loved it especially the staccato editing of the scene with the gun shots. Great!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky