View Single Post
Old 14th January 2016, 10:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)

There's not a lot of point going into detail about the hows and whys of this film. We all know it divides opinion and we know the reasons why - Jar Jar Binks, Jake Lloyd as the young Anakin Skywalker, the kid friendly antics and the political sub plot.

All very good reasons to dislike the film i totally agree. Well, except one. I think the political machinations are vital to the whole Star Wars story and not just this one film.

It documents the rise of Naboo's Senator Palpatine and his political long game. Palpatine's alter ego, the Sith Lord, Darth Sidious, influences the corrupt trade federation to blockade the planet Naboo of which he is a senator. The vote of no confidence for the current supreme chancellor allows Palpatine to gain control of the Republic meaning he can manipulate everything for both good and bad.

It's all really well written and worked out. I've never really understood the dislike for this element of the prequel trilogy as i think it's the real crux of the whole story throughout the three films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Star_Wars_Phantom_Menace_poster.jpg (32.5 KB, 5 views)