Thread: Comedy Film
View Single Post
Old 28th January 2016, 07:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Going Bye-Bye! (1934)

Going Bye-Bye! (1934)
Butch (Walter Long) has just been found guilty (of what he was convicted of we do not know)but Laurel and Hardy were the star witnesses that got him caught and convicted and Butch is not happy at all,he is even less happy when during the Judges suming up Stan puts his foot in it.
Judge: I hereby sentence you to prison for the rest of your natural life.
Stan: Aren't you gonna hang him?
Naturally this really upsets Butch and swears revenge on our two heroes,threatening to break off their arms and wrap them around their necks.Butch manages to escape and hides out with his girlfriend played by yes you guessed it Mae Busch.Stan and Olly decide to leave town,and advertise for a travelling companion to help share the expense,unfortunately and unknown to them Butch's girlfriend answers there advert. Apart from the unbelievable coincidence of Butch's girlfriend answering there newspaper advert, Going Bye-Bye! (1934) is funny and fast paced little film,with a nice mixture of some rather funny lines ,with quite abit of slapstick in the second half when Butch manages to get himself locked in side a trunk , Butch's girlfriend: Yeah, my friend is locked in the trunk. You see he was packing and he accidentally fell in. To which Stan looks at Olly and says " "It could happen!". When ever I watch Walter Long,you can not help feel he really is a bad ass psychopath,he just has the face of criminal and never fails to terrify Stan and Olly.Mae Busch really has only an extended cameo as Butch's girlfriend,so really is not given allot to do really ,apart from looking sexy and filling in the ridiculous plot hole.There is also the terrible out come which be falls the boys at the end of the film when Butch comes good on his threat,as a kid that ending really used to freak me out,and Olly manages to give his immortal line to Stan "well thats another fine mess you got me into"

Ollie: [mimicking Stan] Aren't you gonna hang him?

[as himself]

Ollie: Couldn't you see that he was *annoyed*?