View Single Post
Old 30th January 2016, 09:29 AM
Cult Addict

Body beneath

Andy Milligan directed uk based horror set around highgate cemetary and hampstead heath. A young couple run into a cult of vampires. If your at all familiar with Milligan's work then you should no what to expect, some choppy editing, Am dram acting ect ect. However I still find his work hypnotically appealing and here the photography is actually pretty decent, the locations good and some of the performances hold up. The restoration work is marvellous and as a bonus feature on Milligans social realist picture Nightbirds its a welcome addition. If your going to give his stuff a try it might be worth starting here.

King of the B movies

A documentary on cult underground film maker Bill zeebub that meanders off into lots of behind the scenes footage of naked women. This is not unwelcome and its a pretty funny and affectionate look at his work. Best of all the disc came with his early film Stereotypes don't just disappear into thin airchucked on for free.
Be warned, his stuff is liable to offend. Certainly he deals with thorny subjects head on, including racism, sexism, rape, murder ect ect. Mind you, baring in mind this is the guy who made Jesus christ serial rapist its pretty clear what your getting. I personally think he's pretty good, I don't always agree with his perspective but his approach to dealing with social problems by delivering them on screen uncensored shows the absurdity of the things he's mocking. He also places himself in the center of the action and makes himself a figure of fun as well.

San Babila ore 20: Un Delitto inutile

another find from Camera Obscura, this one is a neo-realist drama fused with Poliziotteschi dealing with neo nazi thugs on the streets of Milan and their conflicts with Marxists. It's a bit more high brow than a lot of Italian Expolitation pictures and seems to be a quite serious approach to the troubles experienced in Italy during this period. It does still have some nasty moments mixed in, including some pretty rough treatment of a female character that serves to show the impotence and agression of these upper middle class fascists. Certainly worth a look.