View Single Post
Old 6th February 2016, 10:02 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
We Are What We Are (Somos lo que hay) (2010)

We Are What We Are is a gritty Mexican drama revolving around a family of cannibals who engage in blood rituals. When the head of the family, and the one responsible for hunting for and the capturing of their meat dies it is down to the rest of the family to attempt to band together and re-align their various roles in order to survive.

A victim of slight mis-marketing, at least to Western audiences, with a promise of gore and extremity, I can see why people were left a little wanting once the end-credits rolled.

However, for me, the film worked fairly well in its intended drama sphere as most of the focus is centered on the struggling family of cannibals and their relationship with one another making the cannibalism almost a secondary element. It certainly lacks depth in places but it was certainly an interesting take on modern cannibalism.

Also, I rarely (if ever) say this but I'm actually looking forward to checking out the US remake at some point to see how it compares, especially as it's been heralded as more of a Southern Gothic style re-imagining rather than a flat out remake.

63/100
I've yet to see either the original or the remake, but the remake is from Jim Mickle so I'd expect good things.