View Single Post
Old 10th February 2016, 08:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (1972)

Sergio Martino's giallo is yet another film based on Edgar Allan Poe's story The Black Cat.

Wait! Come back. It's not as boring as it sounds.

In fact Your Vice... is a quietly effective little thriller. The striking, almost glass like, Anita Strindberg plays the wife of drunken, violent writer, Luigi Pistilli. Fearful of him and his black cat, Satan. Out of the blue, Pistilli's niece, Edwige Fenech, shows up and the story really hots up in a tale of sex, murder and the inevitable fate of being buried behind a wall.

The black cat wandering about has little to do with the story until Strindberg gouges out one of it's eyes which allows Martino to get lurid with his camera treating us to zoom after zoom of the cat's bloodied empty socket. This plays out in a fine hallucinogenic way making the viewer feel as queasy as Strindberg does.
This sounds interesting, i do like a good giallo.

What do you expect if you call your cat Satan.

Imagine calling it in for munchies. 'Satan, Satan... here Satan"

just wondered because i haven't read it since a kid, does the Black cat story feature the eye gouging?
It's just interesting because an old 30's( i think) film called 'Maniac' has a cat eye gouging and is also vaguely based around the Black cat, with the walling up element.
Have you seen it, think it might be by the guy behind Reefer Madness it is early roadshow exploitation and is totally hilariously mental.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Last edited by nosferatu42; 10th February 2016 at 08:23 PM.