View Single Post
Old 11th February 2016, 10:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quite a varied few days of watching films, aside from Deadpool yesterday I also watched these since Tuesday afternoon.

Spotlight (2015)

A sensitive subject handled with good grace. This had the potential to be hard going and difficult to watch but you end up just rooting for the news team and against the Catholic church. Great performances throughout and an excellent dramatic direction.

4/5

Children of the Corn (1984)

Rose tinted glasses moment. I always thought that this was one of my favourite King adaptations, it turns out I was wrong! While it starts off pretty OK with the 2 adults in the car, and a tense scene at the gas station it quickly decends into precocious drama school kids over-acting as if their lives depended on it. Malachai for example, I always had him down as terrifying, perhaps as a Panto bad guy?

3/5

The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

A tour de force in film making, especially when you consider the year it was made. I would have scored this higher but I found it incredibly difficult to watch. The extreme close-ups of Joan crying take their toll. That being said the final 15 minutes were so awe inspiring when Joan tells the judges she only confessed for fear of death and that she must be executed after all. The ensuing burning followed by a riot had me on the edge of my seat!

4/5

A Lizard in a Woman's Skin (1971)

I once watched Don't Torture A Duckling in the 90's after only seeing the 4 really famous Fulci films of the late 70's and early 80's. I didn't like it, it wasn't what I expected. However after watching this film for the first time, I want to go back and watch it with adult's eyes. It's almost hard to believe that this film was made by the same man, it's so well made and competently directed. Now those zombie films have a fan base and I'm certainly in that camp but they are quite clumsy and that's part of the charm.
I really enjoyed this one and got a kick out of the London locations!

4/5

Triumphant sight on a northern sky