View Single Post
Old 13th February 2016, 04:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Kiss of the Damned (2012)

Supposedly heavily influenced by '70s erotic vampire fare from the sub-genre's maestros Rollin and Franco, Xan Cassevetes' film whilst rather stylised and sublime with shades of the erotic unfortunately falls short of the mark in terms of re-creating that particular aesthetic; at least for me - and this is coming from someone who has invested a lot of their time and clean underwear poring over many of these vampire erotica cinematic delights from the sub-genre's golden age.

The narrative is fairly straight forward: boy meets mysterious girl and falls for her and girl then turns boy into vampire. Her sister comes to stay with them and shakes things up a bit amongst the vampire community and her relationship with her recently turned beau... and that's pretty much it; certainly a plot-line more akin to Twilight fan-fiction (albeit put across in a more stylish - and dare I say it - pretentious manner) than the surreal sex-peppered ramblings of Franco or Rollin.

Despite what may appear to be a lot of negativity directed towards it above, Kiss of the Damned actually isn't half-bad and once my brain had successfully put to one side the film's slightly suspect claims of influence, it was able to settle down and enjoy the film for what it was; a passionate, romantic tale with deep, fairly well-rounded characters you actually care about - and it plays to these strengths by focusing on the characters and their turmoils. It does lose its way a little in the final third and gets a little trying, but overall I'm glad I decided to give this one a watch. Oh, and the soundtrack is really good - whilst the film won't be on my shopping list, its OST certainly will be.

62/100