View Single Post
Old 13th February 2016, 06:01 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Killing (1956)

Stanley Kubrick's classic noir stars Sterling Hayden as Johnny Clay. An ex criminal who devises a scheme to become $2m richer with a daring robbery at a race track...during the 7th race. Unfortunately he should never have told Sherry (Marie Windsor), a tough talking dame who also intends to become a couple of million richer.

I love films like this. The idea of Hayden coming up with the plan and getting a crew together then meticulously planning every detail, it's film noir heaven to me and it's a theme that was duplicated so brilliantly in the 1960 British classic The League of Gentlemen, which proves an even better film than this in my opinion.

The first half an hour i found a little too talky and slightly uninvolving. Naturally we get to meet all of the characters including Elisha Cook jr's betting office clerk, but it's via this talky opening that everything clicks into place during the second half of the film. Kubrick also wrote the screenplay and where he perhaps fails dialogue wise he certainly makes up for in the action and suspense department.

It's that second half which makes The Killing the classic it is. Tightly plotted, and directed with flair to create a gripping scenario which plays out precisely as planned... or does it.

The Killing is an excellent noir thriller. Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wwwfilmrus_4536640_19832146.jpg (63.3 KB, 5 views)