View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2016, 06:18 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Nothing Underneath (1985)

In Milan a fashion model is kidnapped and believed murdered by a killer using scissors to mutilate his victims. Over in Yellowstone National Park a ranger has a disturbing vision about his sister and high tails it across the pond to Italy where he enlists the help of Donald Pleasence's detective to help track down his sister.

It's tough for a later giallo to add anything to what had become a well worn genre by this stage. Unfortunately Nothing Underneath falls into that bracket as it is on the whole fairly routine.

Whilst not particularly gory, most kills are off camera, perhaps in the knowledge that every conceivable murder had already been seen by giallo movie goers. Director Carlo Vanzina chooses to portray his murders a little more in the art house direction shall we say. Take the example of the blood dripping into a bath as a good example of what i mean. Although what gore is onscreen is well done and looks very effective. Then of course there's the slo-mo finale...

The film is, i think, Donald Pleasence' only foray into the giallo genre (Correct me if i'm wrong, please) and his presence is a welcome one. His role isn't that different to his trademark Sam Loomis Halloween role, except perhaps a tad more sceptical when it comes to the psychic link between the ranger and his sister, and for the most part he works well with lead actor, Tom Shanley. (who!?)

Nothing Underneath is never going to make you mouth 'wow!' in amazement but it sticks to it's giallo roots well and in time honored traditions features a bevy of beautiful girls, a lot of red herrings and mystery, and of course a little sleaze to tide you over.