View Single Post
Old 4th March 2016, 11:06 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

A lot of films are endorsed by names nowadays though. Stick a well known star in any old tat and people will go and see it in their droves.

Most younger audiences won't even know that the new Suspiria film is a remake (I mean how many modern cinema audiences nowadays are into Argento and his films let alone heard of him) and go and see it on trailers/hype alone - and even if they do know, I doubt whether they'll care.

These kind of films must make the studios money otherwise they wouldn't keep churning them out. I guess it makes sense from their point of view as they don't need to come up with any original ideas or a story as that's already been done for them. They can also piggy-back off the notoriety of the original for the people who've heard of it. They just need to decide how to gloss it up and work their set-pieces, what audience they intend to target and how to market it in terms of their cast and they can move on to their next project as they bank the money. Hell, given a good director, script-editor, cinematographer and score it may even be pretty good.