View Single Post
Old 14th March 2016, 05:47 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
So will this mean you dump all your blu's and start buying 4K instead?
Hell no!

It's a format for technophiles and home theatre enthusiasts really. You'd need a pretty large screen to even notice the difference between Blu-ray (2K) and Ultra HD Blu-ray (4K) - unlike DVD->Blu which is a pretty massive jump where the human eye is concerned. The discs are ultra niche retail wise too and with the indie studios often struggling with Blu-ray (let alone Ultra HD) and the physical media market shrinking as streaming becomes the norm for most people, I can't see the format taking off except for a minority of newer big-studio big-budget films and maybe the odd classic that the studios feel worthy of releasing in Ultra HD, but who knows. Some of the new releases are also a little bogus as far as their Ultra HD claims go, as although they may have been released on a Ultra HD disc, they may in fact be scanned in 2K or 4K with after-effects done in 2K.

I for one am happy enough with Blu-ray and DVD though.

As for the 4K technology itself, it will become the norm as gradually standard HD TVs are phased out to be replaced with 4K sets and you will get the benefit of upscaling. As for the players and the discs? I predict another Laserdisc / SACD scenario.