View Single Post
Old 29th March 2016, 01:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Dr. Cyclops (1940)

Dr. Cyclops, whilst being fairly run of the mill plot wise is actually an extraordinary piece of work. Only the second horror / sci-fi film to be filmed in technicolor (33's Mystery of the Wax Museum was the first), it's genuinely a joy to watch.

I adore technicolor, i think it's a gorgeous filming technique and Dr. Cyclops looks stunning throughout. Full of vibrant colours, it actually made me wonder what classics like The Black Cat and Frankenstein could have looked like bathed in the green hues that open this film.

It's not only technicolor that adds to the enjoyment of the film. Directed by Ernest B. Schoedsack and produced by Merian C. Cooper the creative duo behind King Kong (1933). The film has ingenious special effects, with a whole environment produced in super size to allow the shrunken heroes of the film, and victims of Dr. Cyclops experiments, to run about in. This, some 17 years before The Incredible Shrinking Man pulled off the same trick to great acclaim, allowing Schoedsack to wow the viewer with some stunning set pieces involving cats, crocodiles and er'... a chicken.

Dr. Cyclops...story wise it's mundane but creatively it's a quite beautiful experience.

Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tumblr_kyjd1xedPy1qz72v7o1_500.jpg (69.1 KB, 3 views)