View Single Post
Old 31st March 2016, 07:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)

Battle Beyond the Stars (1980)

Battle Beyond the Stars Has some rather good credits to its name,Produced by Roger Corman,Screenplay and story by John Sayles. , Music by James Horner ,director of photography and special photographic effects - Jim Cameron and a rather starry B-list of character actors ,not only this but a proven well worn story based on good old Seven Samurai aka The Magnificent Seven . The special effects are on the whole very good to perfunctory,They reminded me allot of the kind of effects you get in the TV shows like Buck Rogers and BattleStar Galactica,which in it self is not a bad thing,but compared to its major bigger budgeted counter parts which were at the cinema at the time (and I first saw this at cinema) it was then and is now a little under whelming. Hey im no fan of those big budgeted movies,but trying telling that to my my 12 year old self back then,of course now I can appreciate how good it is given its budgetary restrictions and lets be honest some of the effects are a little bit on the dodgy side. On the plus side you get some rather great if over the top performances from Robert Vaughn playing not to dissimilar role as he played in The Magnificent Seven.George Peppard as Space Cowboy some what similar to the Steve McQueen role.Sybil Danning as Saint-Exmin a larger breasted warrior,I only mention her breasts because there better than her acting And of course John Saxon as the head Mexican bandit,er I mean Sador not forgetting Richard Thomas more famous for the Waltons as Shad,a low budget Luke Skywalker. It's a fun entertaining low budget science fiction film ( apparently this was Corman's highest budget film thus far $2,000,000 allegedly),Trouble is the 12 year old me was a little disappointed at the time. still there is always Sybil's breasts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 382341_full.jpg (98.0 KB, 3 views)