View Single Post
Old 7th April 2016, 10:13 PM
Cult Addict

Knock Knock, Eli Roth.

I actually enjoy Roths films, i haven't got as far as reviewing Green Inferno yet but i really enjoyed it. But Knock Knock? Basically architect and devoted family man Keanu is left alone in his big snazzy LA house working while his wife and kids go to their beach house for the weekend. When two young girls turn up during a torrential storm asking to use the phone Keanu does the gentlemanly thing and lets them in, arranges a cab and lets them use the dryer. During the wait for the cab the girls Genesis and Bel continually flirt with a clearly uncomfortable Keanu and despite his resistance to their advances eventually manage to seduce him into a threesome. Next morning he wakes up and is surprised to find the girls in his kitchen making breakfast. He tries to get them to leave and things get more and more awkward and when he threatens to phone the police the girls reveal themselves to be under the age of consent and point out the obvious consequences. When he finally picks up the phone they leave. Not before vandalising his house. Late that night while working Keanu hears noise and the next thing is knocked unconcious by Genesis and wakes up tied to the bed. So begins a night of twisted cat and mouse games with the increasingly psychotic girls.
Problem? Well firstly Keanu. I actually like him in most things and have never really got the whole 'whoa dude' thing that seems to have followed him throughout his career. Unfortunately in this he is terrible, particularly in the early scenes with his family. Chemistry with his children is awful. After his family leave his performance improves and the early scenes with Genesis and Bel aren't bad with him playing awkward and uncomfortable quite well. Once the girls reveal there true character though that all goes out the window and i found him to be cringeworthy. I don't know if this is just my thoughts but the film comes across as Roths take on Michael Haneke's Funny Games with Peter and Paul replaced by pretty girls. I actually think the film would have worked a lot better with a different actor, this simply didn't suit Reeves and he's acted off the screen by Lorenzo Izzo and Ana de Armas as Genesis and Bel respectively.