View Single Post
Old 20th April 2016, 01:48 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I get the feeling that you don't particularly like Constrictor! Which is a surprise.
Constrictor is an OK album. It's not Alice's best, but it's by no means the worst

For me, the problem with the record is the fact that previously, Alice had been a leader. The records he released in the 70's (both solo and with the ACG) contained music that was innovative and new - it was influential and important, with many bands from The Sex Pistols to Guns And Roses to Marilyn Manson to Lady Gaga using them as a starting point

In contrast, the albums that were released after 'From The Inside' had Alice trying to find a new direction, leading to the four experimental albums between 1980 - 1983, and the heavy metal influenced 'Constrictor' in 1986

During the time he was 'away', music had changed, and Instead of leading the pack, Alice was now a follower, hence my comments about the songs on this album being inter-changeable with other bands from the era, and the over reliance on the Eddie Van Halen guitar dramatics

However, there was one place where Alice proved he was still very much a pioneer, and that was on the live stage, but more about that in a few posts time...

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty