View Single Post
Old 25th April 2016, 01:14 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 178034

Most if not everyone her has seen the classic Robocop so when I heard about this like a lot of remakes I avoided it until last night my girlfriend said we will give it a shot anyway Gary Oldman and Michael Keaton are alway worth a watch if nothing else it had them going for it but could they save the film.

The plot :

In order to gain public approval of their robotics program OCP need a prospect they can sell to the public because the robots they use in combat can not be used on American soil. They decide the best way around this is to put a human with emotions and feelings inside one of the suits to get a law passed so they can take over from the cops and patrol the cities of America.

Acting:

The acting is a real mixed bag here as a big fan of the two actors I mentioned at the beginning I really enjoyed their screen time but one problem with Keatons villain role which is no fault of his own but for the head of an evil corporation he was pretty non threatening so the writing was pretty bad for his character. Samuel L Jackson was just his typical self shouting his head off for no reason don't get me wrong I'm a fan of his but he has played this exact same role in many films already again bad writing for another big actor can you see a pattern emerging here. Next up the guy who plays Murphy no idea what his name is but I'm not pushed to find out his acting was terrible he was as much a robot before he became Robocop as he was in the suit.

Visuals:

Visually the robots looked pretty impressive I didn't think it looked too cgi heavy they managed to make it look pretty realistic especially at they start when they were patrolling the Middle East and we saw plants of them n the screen at once. Even Robocop blazing around on his motorbike around the city weaving in and out of traffic was solid there was one bike scene towards the end that left a lot to be desired but still I found the rest solid.

Final Impressions :

I can't pretend that I was not comparing this to the original no matter how hard I tried not too but in the back of my mind I couldn't help it but that's only natural. I'm going to say right off the bat I did not enjoy this at all the first hour bored me so much I felt no connection to anyone no matter how hard to tried and they tried hard to get me emotionally involved with Murphy and his family but in the end I felt so disconnected from them I just didn't care. Even when Murphy delivered the iconic line dead or alive you're coming with me I just laughed because it came across forced and awkwardly cheesy like the actor was embaressed to even say it himself. I tried but I felt nothing watching this.

Film 4/10

4 for visuals alone.
His name is Joel Kinnaman, he's a Swedish actor and he is easily the films biggest problem. Terrible casting. Good review though Nord, its an easy film to tear apart because it is pissing upon something so sacred but i do think its entertaining enough if not judged too harshly.