View Single Post
Old 17th November 2009, 11:32 AM
Ex-member

Interesting Angel. Shows just what a farce the whole BBFC set-up is.

"The Wolf Man" - (1941)
http://www.beardyfreak.com/rvwolfman.php

With the very groovy looking (and actually valid) re-make coming up I took another look at the 'Universal' original.

Thanks to the truly superb scripting and then revolutionary folklore creation by Curt Siodmak The Wolf Man has in fact become the most culturally influential of all Universal's monsters.

Lon Chaney he does everything that needs doing as far as essaying a likeable character caught in a web of tragedy.
But his general hulking physicality and distinctive drawl do not remotely work as far as him being a credible, (estranged or not) son of the slight, very English, very sophisticated, Claude Rains.
As The Wolf Man though, Chaney does a wonderful job and his bulk and physicality are a bonus here.

Claude Rains yet again does a wonderful job as the intelligent, caring, grounded father.
And the unforgettable Maria Ouspenskaya helps to create one of Universal's most iconic non-monster characters as the wise but mysterious foreteller of doom.

For all it's classic status I have to say though that the design of The Wolf Man is for me the least successful of make-up legend Jack Pierce's creations.
The dog snout nose and rather comical bouffant hairdo that the Werewolf sports have dated badly and take away some of the viciousness of the creature, despite the effective looking fangs.

A few logic holes in the plot, but basically thanks to the otherwise effective screenplay, wonderful monster lore, good support characters, wonderfully atmospheric sets and cinematography, tight direction and genuinely effective and tragic lead character, "The Wolf Man" manages to retain much of its classic status historically speaking, and also manages to be an enjoyable fright film in its own right.

I'd still put this behind "Dracula", "Frankenstein", "Son of Frankenstein" and especially "The Invisible Man", but The Wolf Man manages a very respectable placing in Universal's classic monster canon.