View Single Post
Old 29th April 2016, 08:34 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Maybe it's the two years I spent doing an MA in International Film, but I think it is possible to separate the two and have great works of art which aren't much fun, and films which are ineptly made but hugely enjoyable.
I'm not necessarily talking about 'fun' though, as some of my favourite films could hardly be seen as fun (Solyaris, Clean Shaven, Spoorloos etc.) it's all about 'feeling' for me and intensity, which can represent itself as a plethora of emotions and thoughts. 'Best' for me does not equal 'most accomplished' or 'most heralded' - I'd take Welles' The Trial over Citizen Kane any day of the week irrelevant of the fact that critics and fans want to label one as more accomplished and 'worthy' than the other and for me the former is the 'better' film, hence the subjective rather than objective nature of cinema. Lawrence of Arabia is no doubt an epic masterpiece but there's no way it's getting near a Top 500 film list of mine irrelevant of how accomplished and well-regarded it is... I gotta save space for Burial Ground and I Drink Your Blood.

I do understand where you're coming from what with you having studied film academically, I guess in a way it's like your brain has been conditioned to look at film as a puzzle or a piece of machinery, dissecting it and putting it back together again; critiqueing and analysing which in turn leads you to perhaps look deeper into the technical aspect of cinema.