View Single Post
Old 17th May 2016, 06:21 PM
Cult Acolyte

SCREAM...AND DIE!
After watching Jose Larraz's excellent SYMPTOMS, I thought I'd rewatch his 1973 horror effort again.
After breaking into a sinister looking cottage, a girl witnesses a gruesome murder and her boyfriend disappears. Returning home, she soon finds herself seemingly stalked by the killer. But who is it?
This slow moving thriller is a bit of a drag, to be honest. While SYMPTOMS' leisurely pace was perfect for a slow burning psychologicsl thriller, this one could have done with a quicker pace and reduction in running time, despite the increased sleaze factor.

PLANET OF THE VAMPIRES
While investigating an alien planet, a spaceship crew start behaving oddly and begin to have visions of the previously murdered crew rising from the dead to take over their bodies.
Pretty much a precurser to films such as ALIEN, it's a fairly routine but enjoyable story. However, the real star here is Bava's cinematography and set design, which, by the use of clever camera work and matte paintings, makes the alien planet look vast and impressive.
And there are some very creepy moments here, too.
Kino's blu ray looks excellent, but I think this is one for the Arrow treatment.