View Single Post
Old 21st May 2016, 06:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Possession (1981)

A drawn out metaphor for the crumbling and ultimate destruction of a marriage and the self loathing that goes with it that culminates in a hysterical miscarriage in a subway which goes on for far too long. Just like the film itself.

Unfortunately i hated the character oif Anna as played by Isabelle Adjani. Much like Shelley Duvall in The Shining her wide eyed shouting and screaming histrionics become wearing after fifteen minutes and her performance became a chore to endure.

The film showcases some excellent cinematography showing the deserted streets, Polish director Andrzej Zulawski's camera never stops moving and the apartment Anna hides out in is a haunting dream state series of rooms with the Berlin Wall in the background all wallowing in an air of surreal desperation. Again an allegory for division just as the film itself is.

I'm not sure how this film was marketed but it ain't a horror film. It seems like a vanity piece the director had to do to represent his own life at the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I love this film and have no problems with Isabelle Adjani's character or performance (which is probably the strongest of her career). I don't have any problems with Shelley Duvall in The Shining either, which may explain why.

Personally, I like that it doesn't entirely make its intentions clear and I'm always left with a 'What the hell just happened?' feeling when it ends, just enjoying the ride!

I think Viridiana is a masterpiece and my score would be in the high 90s, but then I'm a huge fan of Luis Buñuel's films, whether 'mainstream' like Belle de jour or more surreal such as The Exterminating Angel or The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
While its one of my favourite films i must admit Shelley Duvall is a little grating in The Shining.