View Single Post
Old 21st May 2016, 07:07 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've not heard of this. However i do like the still. What sort of film is it?
Arty farty.

It's basically a character study and not so subtle dig at Catholicism by Bunuel, which tells the tale of a young novice nun, Viridiana, who pays a visit to her widowed uncle and attempts to maintain her Catholic principles amongst all the debauchery and lechery that is thrown her way. The Vatican denounced the film at the time and it is still as unflinching today. It's a film I'd definitely recommend seeking out - objectively speaking as much as subjectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I love this film and have no problems with Isabelle Adjani's character or performance (which is probably the strongest of her career). I don't have any problems with Shelley Duvall in The Shining either, which may explain why.
I love Possession and have no issue with Adjani's character - the subway meltdown is one of my favourite scenes in the film. In comparsion, Shelley Duvall's character gets on my nerves in The Shining as she just seems to be there for the sole purpose of wailing and to be annoying. The portrayal of her character was one of the main issues Stephen King had with Kubrick's film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I think Viridiana is a masterpiece and my score would be in the high 90s, but then I'm a huge fan of Luis Buñuel's films, whether 'mainstream' like Belle de jour or more surreal such as The Exterminating Angel or The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie.
I like Bunuel's work too, and although Viridiana is a very good film, and a delicious satire and middle finger to the Catholic church, I don't rate it among his best. I prefer his more surreal works... Simon of the Desert being one of my favourites of his.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 21st May 2016 at 07:17 PM.