View Single Post
Old 21st May 2016, 07:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Arty farty.

It's basically a character study and not so subtle dig at Catholicism by Bunuel, which tells the tale of a young novice nun, Viridiana, who pays a visit to her widowed uncle and attempts to maintain her Catholic principles amongst all the debauchery and lechery that is thrown her way. The Vatican denounced the film at the time and it is still as unflinching today. It's a film I'd definitely recommend seeking out - objectively speaking as much as subjectively.

I love Possession and have no issue with Adjani's character - the subway meltdown is one of my favourite scenes in the film. In comparsion, Shelley Duvall's character gets on my nerves in The Shining as she just seems to be there for the sole purpose of wailing and to be annoying. The portrayal of her character was one of the main issues Stephen King had with Kubrick's film.

I like Bunuel's work too, and although Viridiana is a very good film, and a delicious satire and middle finger to the Catholic church, I don't rate it among his best. I prefer his more surreal works... Simon of the Desert being one of my favourites of his.
To be fair to Shelley Duvall and Kubrick i don't find her character much different in the book.