View Single Post
Old 26th June 2016, 07:01 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Top 10 deaths in no particular order, but with an explanation of why each is on the list – another 10 to follow shortly, also with comments:

Psycho – I had heard about the shower scene and knew the twist before watching the film, but the ferocity of the attack, the brilliance of the cinematography and editing, and the slow pan back at the end never fail to stir my emotions and make me marvel at Hitchcock’s mastery.

Hellraiser – The film is full of jawdropping moments of extreme violence, but Frank’s comeuppance in the hands of the cenobites topped them all; Sean Chapman’s decision to tell Clive Barker a different line would be better was brave, and his choice and delivery were perfect.

Blade Runner – The ending is inspired and Rutger Hauer has never been more impressive. I still choke up a little when I watch it.

Day of the Dead – The ultimate death by zombie horde and one of the reasons why practical effects are (with few exceptions) more effective than CGI ones.

Suspiria – As with Psycho, I have included this because of its superb (pardon the pun) execution and that its impact doesn’t diminish with age and repeated viewings.

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre – Another film I knew by reputation when I saw it first and yet was stunned by the brutality and unrelenting terror of perhaps the most ‘pure’ horror film ever made. It’s yet another which doesn’t diminish with repeated viewings.

The Wicker Man – The buildup to the ceremony is what makes the horror of the situation all the more impactful and the fact Howie goes to his death with his faith tested and unwavering makes it all the more emotive.

Jaws – Mark Kermode says this isn’t a film about a shark, but more a morality tale about extramarital sex, ‘a depiction of masculinity in crisis to a post-Watergate parable about corrupt authority figures’, but this scene is most definitely about a shark, and Quint’s Capt Ahab meeting his Moby Dick.

Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb Why is this film about the end of the world so funny? It revels in the absurdities of the Cold War, and Major Kong riding the bomb to his demise (triggering the Doomsday Machine in the process) has been referenced, parodied, and loved numerous times by millions of people. If I had to die like one cinematic character, this would be my choice.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail – Of all the absurd deaths in film history, this scene ranks right on the top. Heavily armoured mediaeval knights are killed by a bunny, one soils himself (again) and then the rabbit is defeated by the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch – surrealist brilliance.