View Single Post
Old 8th July 2016, 05:16 AM
Cult Master

BONUS INTERMISSION: The Life And Crimes Of Alice Cooper

Over the years, there have been a lot of 'best of..' type albums, most of which have been quicky cash-ins, offering nothing new. These include titles such as 'The Beast Of Alice Cooper' (1989) and 'Classicks' (1995). The best of these however, had been the 1974 release 'Alice Coopers' Greatest Hits', which was a single album featuring the original ACG.

A compilation box-set had been planned for many years. Originally conceived as being a three CD set, 'The Life And Crimes Of Alice Cooper' was ultimately expanded to four CD's, includes at least one track from each album release to date, plus lots of rare recordings.

I know I have recommended this set before, but I really cannot sing it's praises high enough. Alongside the box-set released by The Who, '30 Years Of Maximum R & B', it is probably the best compilation set I own

Ironically, The Life And Crimes was released on April 20th, 1999 - the same date as the Columbine High School Massacre

This is the press release for the set, quoted exactly, including spelling and factual errors!:
"Debuting in 1969, Alice Cooper didn't take long to turn the music world upside down by wearing outrageous costumes and make-up, while performing loud, hard rock music framing witty, sharp-edged lyrics. Add to that his colossally horrific stage theatrics and an outrageous, rebellious persona, metal pioneer Alice Cooper (nee Vincent Furnier) defined shock-rock, and he hasn't retired his black eye-makeup yet. Longtime Cooper fans (not to mention the man himself) have been dying for this box set to see the light of day. Now, after more than five years underground, THE LIFE AND CRIMES OF ALICE COOPER box set has finally been unearthed.

THE LIFE AND CRIMES OF ALICE COOPER stuffs 4 CDs full of 88 tracks from 21 albums released on various labels between 1969-1994, plus we've unleashed a slew of rare tracks, including early, pre-Alice Cooper (band) singles, imports, non-LP B-sides, live versions, unreleased album outtakes, and demos.

Includes Cooper's contributions to various movie soundtracks - such as Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Flash Fearless Vs. The Zorg Women, and The Decline Of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years - as well as his duet with Rob Zombie from 1996's The X-Files tribute album, Songs In The Key Of X.

Book includes and intro written by Johnny Rotten, liner notes by former Creem editor Jeffrey Morgan, and tributes from Iggy Pop, Vince Neil, Nikki Sixx, Joey Ramone, Dick Clark, Boy George, Bono, Mike Myers, and Dana Carvey ("Wayne and Gath"), among others."

The track listing is a pure delight

Disc 1
  • Don't Blow Your Mind - The Spiders (1966)
  • Hitch Hike - The Spiders (1965)
  • Why Don't You Love Me - The Spiders (1965)
  • Lay Down And Die, Goodbye - (OriginalVersion) The Nazz (1967)
  • Nobody Likes Me (demo version - 1968)
  • Levity Ball (studio version - 1968)
  • Reflected (Pretties For You - 1969)
  • Mr. And Misdemeanor (Easy Action - 1970)
  • Refrigerator Heaven (Easy Action - 1970)
  • Caught In A Dream (Love It To Death - 1971)
  • I'm Eighteen (Love It To Death - 1971)
  • Is It My Body (Love It To Death - 1971)
  • Ballad Of Dwight Fry (Love It To Death - 1971)
  • Under My Wheels (Killer - 1971)
  • Be My Lover (Killer - 1971)
  • Desperado (Killer - 1971)
  • Dead Babies (Killer - 1971)
  • Killer (Killer - 1971)
  • Call It Evil (demo - 1971)
  • Gutter Cat vs The Jets (School's Out - 1972)
  • School's Out (School's Out - 1972)
Disc 2
  • Hello Hooray (Billion Dollar Babies - 1973)
  • Elected (Billion Dollar Babies - 1973)
  • Billion Dollar Babies (Billion Dollar Babies - 1973)
  • No More Mr. Nice Guy (Billion Dollar Babies - 1973)
  • I Love The Dead (Billion Dollar Babies - 1973)
  • Slick Black Limousine (Flexi-disc from New Musical Express 1973)
  • Respect For The Sleepers (demo - 1973)
  • Muscle Of Love (Muscle Of Love - 1973)
  • Teenage Lament '74 (Muscle Of Love - 1973)
  • Working Up A Sweat (Muscle Of Love - 1973)
  • Man With The Golden Gun (Muscle Of Love - 1973)
  • I'm Flash (Flash Fearless Versus The Zorg Women - 1975)
  • Space Pirates (Flash Fearless Versus The Zorg Women - 1975)
  • Welcome To My Nightmare (Welcome To My Nightmare - 1975)
  • Only Women Bleed (single version )
  • Cold Ethyl (Welcome To My Nightmare - 1975)
  • Department Of Youth (Welcome To My Nightmare - 1975)
  • Escape (Welcome To My Nightmare - 1975)
  • I Never Cry (Alice Cooper Goes To Hell - 1976)
  • Go To Hell (Alice Cooper Goes To Hell - 1976)
Disc 3
  • It's Hot Tonight (Lace And Whiskey - 1977)
  • You And Me (Lace And Whiskey - 1977)
  • I Miss You (Battle Axe - 1977)
  • No Time For Tears (Sextette Outtake - 1977)
  • Because - With The Bee Gees (Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 1978)
  • From The Inside (From The Inside - 1978)
  • How You Gonna See Me Now (From The Inside - 1978)
  • Serious (From The Inside - 1978)
  • No Tricks (Single B side - 1978)
  • Road Rats (Roadie - 1980)
  • Clones (We`re All) (Flush The Fashion - 1980)
  • Pain (Flush The Fashion - 1980)
  • Who Do You Think We Are (Special Forces - 1980)
  • Look At You Over There, Ripping The Sawdust From My Teddybear (Outtake - 1980)
  • For Britain Only (UK only Single - 1982)
  • I Am The Future (Zipper Catches Skin - 1982)
  • Tag, You're It (Zipper Catches Skin - 1982)
  • Former Lee Warmer (DaDa - 1983)
  • I Love America (DaDa - 1983)
  • Identity Crisis (Monster Dog - 1984)
  • See Me In The Mirror (Monster Dog - 1984)
  • Hard Rock Summer (Friday The 13th - 1986)
Disc 4
  • He`s Back (The Man Behind The Mask) (Demo with music from Trick Bag - 1986)
  • He's Back (The Man Behind The Mask) (Constrictor - 1986)
  • Teenage Frankenstein (Constrictor - 1986)
  • Freedom (Raise Your Fist And Yell - 1987)
  • Prince Of Darkness (Raise Your Fist And Yell - 1987)
  • Under My Wheels (The Decline Of Western Civilization - 1988)
  • I Got A Line On You (Iron Eagle II - 1988)
  • Poison (Trash - 1989)
  • Trash (Trash - 1989)
  • Only My Heart Talkin' (Trash - 1989)
  • Hey Stoopid (Hey Stoopid - 1991)
  • Feed My Frankenstein (Hey Stoopid - 1991)
  • Fire (Single B side)
  • Lost In America (The Last Temptation - 1994)
  • It's Me (The Last Temptation - 1994)
  • Hands Of Death (with Rob Zombie, Remix of the track from The X Files - 1996)
  • Is Anyone Home? (A Fistful Of Alice - 1997)
  • Stolen Prayer (The Last Temptation - 1994)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

For Alice, the first half of 1999 was spent playing golf and appearing on television shows to promote the album

On June 28th, he appeared at The Royal Albert Hall, London for the 'Classic Rock Symphony Show', where he performs 'Another Brick in the Wall' (Pink Floyd), 'Start Me Up' (The Rolling Stones), '5:15' (The Who), and 'School's Out'

From Sept 1st, he resumes the 'Rock And Roll Carnival Tour' in the US. The band and set list was the same as before except that 'Public Animal #9' has been replaced by 'Is It My Body' and a cover of Elton John`s Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting' is played instead of 'Jailhouse Rock'. The tour finishes on October 16th

Although never released on DVD, an audience recording from this tour can be found here

On Dec 31st, a new year/welcome to 2000 party is hosted at Cooperstown, a sports bar/restaurant that Alice opened in Dec 1998 in Phoenix.

From the advert for this:
"MILLENNIUM MASQUERADE WITH ALICE COOPER, LIMITED NUMBERS OF TICKETS AVAILABLE
TO THIS INTIMATE NEW YEAR'S EVEN PERFORMANCE IN PHOENIX, AZ.

Alice Cooper will rock in the Millennium on Friday, December 31, in true Cooper style with a Millennium Masquerade Party at Alice Cooper'stown in Phoenix, Arizona. The evening's festivities begin at 8:00pm.

The once-in-a-life-time New Year's Eve extravaganza will definitely be a twist on the typical "Black Tie" event. With masquerade attire required for this festive "Black Eyed" affair, and as an EVENT, it promises to be one of the most anticipated and talked about Millennium celebrations around the world.

The atmosphere of Alice Cooper'stown lends itself to be an intimate up close setting. The highlight of the evening will no doubt be the live and private concert featuring Alice Cooper. Cooper will perform a full set with his touring band. As the clock strikes midnight and guests unmask, Alice Cooper will personally ring in the New Year and usher in the new century. Who knows, there may be a few surprise guests that jam with Alice.

Beginning Octobers 11th, confirmed seating may be purchased through Alice Cooper'stown by phoning Kim Stitham at 602.253.7337. Tickets are priced at $*** each and may be purchased via all major credit cards. Space at this elaborate party is limited to 300 people and is based on first come first served basis. Included in the price of the ticket, will be a gourmet feast, champagne bar, decadent desserts, keepsake gift, party favors and much more.
Tickets do not include tax and/or gratuity."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg life and crimes 1.jpg (14.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg life and crimes 2.jpg (95.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg life and crimes 3.jpg (93.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg life and crimes 4.jpg (97.9 KB, 2 views)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by Susan Foreman; 8th July 2016 at 05:36 AM.