View Single Post
Old 10th July 2016, 02:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Alien 2: On Earth (1980) Alien 2 sulla Terra (original title)

Lets be honest even if you had not seen Alien 2 before,the chances of it being classic Italian masterpiece was going to be pretty low,this aint Fellini were talking about here. Luckily or unluckily depending on your view of the film,I had watched it on video back in the good old days,so I could vaguely remember what I was expecting to get. It is fare to say that Alien 2 sulla Terra is pretty low budget stuff,starting off with some rather washed out 1970's NASA footage cobbled together to form the story of some returning astronauts. Mean while back on earth a group of non descriptive Italian actors (except for Michele Soavi) decide to explore some rather nice looking caves,and seeing as there not on a day trip to Cheddar Caves the chances of them wandering around licking a 99 ice cream and going off for a bag of fish and chips at Wookey Hole Caves is pretty slim. Most of the criticism aimed at Alien 2 sulla Terra is that its pretty ponderous and all round bad.Well I have to say,hand on heart,that even though I had not seen the film in well over twenty years,I rather enjoyed it,In fact none of the criticism levelled at it ,really bothered me at all,I kind of take it for granted that low budget exploitation films can be at times a chore,but much like other movies of its ilk Contamination , Nightmare City and The Incredible Melting Man I feel there are all ways worth persevering with. Especially once the gore starts flowing and our intrepid cavers are having there faces ripped off by some Alien or Aliens stalking them through the stalactites.Directed by Ciro Ippolito (as Sam Cromwell) Alien 2: On Earth looks rather nice on Blu ray,and the filming in the Castellana Caves gives the film a far more interesting look than any sound stage in Rome.As I said,I enjoyed this face ripping alien film,Im amused by the fact that they ripped off the Alien franchise,so hopefully annoying someone at 20th Century Fox.

Fantastic stuff, Inspector!! Did you ever get round to watching Dead Kids aka Strange Behaviour?