Thread: Code Red
View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:53 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
See. You should have bought a more varied collection of films on dvd rather than just pick up Arrow's umpteenth release of The Beyond.

Just kidding!
I was already buying Blu-ray once Arrow released their umpteenth release of The Beyond!

I had a fairly extensive DVD collection but only started really buying them in 2004 and at that time I was a student so was very limited on space (plus I used to have lots of other things to spend my disposable income on - not so much the case now). I only started buying a lot of DVDs when I left Uni in 2006 and got my own place. I started buying Blu in 2009/2010 so I only really had 3 good years of solid DVD buying hence the many gaps! (that, and when I first started buying my main resource for picking up titles was HMV).

I've been steadily buying Blu for about 6 years now and my collection is almost at my DVD collection's peak pre-HD. The quality of my Blu collection now compared to my DVD collection back then I'd say is much better though (I'm sure many would argue otherwise!). I do still buy DVDs of course but generally only TV shows and that very rare film I can't see getting the HD treatment.

It's probably very stupid / short-sighted of me, but most of the time I'd rather wait it out to see if a title got the HD treatment (and pay more for it ) than pick it up for a couple of quid on DVD (although that in itself is becoming rarer as titles go OOP and start to fetch silly money, meaning that sometimes a release with a brand new HD transfer is cheaper to buy than some old long OOP DVD - just because it's OOP... which is nuts). Also, I've got a ridiculously large wish-list as it is and it's all about quality over quantity for me now - again, I'm sure people viewing my BD collection would beg to differ!