View Single Post
Old 30th July 2016, 10:28 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I have recently watched:

Supergirl: Season One – a show I went into with no expectations because I haven't seen Smallville or any of the other recent Marvel shows which would link into this (the appearance of The Flash meant very little, for example). Overall, I really enjoyed it and watched the three discs very quickly, probably in the space of a week as they were sent from Lovefilm, with strong performances by Melissa Benoist as Kara/Supergirl, David Harewood as Hank Henshaw and J'onn J'onzz, and Calista Flockhart as a Cat Grant. I look forward to watching the second season later this year.

Pride and Prejudice – the 1995 BBC miniseries which introduced the world to Colin Firth and is a great piece of filmmaking. It is splendidly written by Andrew Davies, the man who recently penned the War and Peace adaptation and has written numerous other period dramas for the BBC. The entire series is superbly directed, benefits from a tremendous cast and high-quality location work and costuming.

Star Trek: The Original Series: Season One – which I hadn't seen before but had some preconceptions from how it is referenced in other TV shows and films. However, I quite liked the 'monster of the week' way in which the series works, with each episode usually involving a threat to the Enterprise or crew members on a planet somewhere. Some of the effects and costumes are laughable, particularly an exotic plant which is obviously someone under a desk wearing a fluffy pink glove and a dangerous alien which is not too dissimilar to the 'Gill man' from the original Creature from the Black Lagoon! Overall though, I quite enjoyed it and will watch the second season this time in September.

Mr Selfridge: Season One – another Andrew Davies-penned series, and another very well made period drama. It was something which I knew nothing about but added to my Lovefilm rental queue because I was looking through things Andrew Davies had written and hadn't seen, and it was sent from the 'normal priority' section. As with Star Trek, I'll check out the second season next month.