View Single Post
Old 9th August 2016, 06:12 AM
Cult Addict

The Resurrected

An adaptation of H.P Lovecrafts Charles dexter ward with Chris Sarandon in dual roles of Dexter ward and his Ancestor Joseph Curwen. directed by Dan O'Bannen it reworks the story into more of an occult noir with a private detective hired by Wards wife stumbles onto more than he bargained for.
The films suffers slightly from a low budget mixed with big ambission and some of the creature effects while well designed don't work as well as intended. However the film is still good. It's still as good an adaptation that your going to get, the haunted palace is a good film but it lacked the confidence/ability to stick to the story and mixed in several other stories including Dunwich horror and The shadow over innesmouth. The blu-ray is a step up from the dire DVD release in the fact its widescreen. There is still some issues with the picture quality but I suspect this might be due to the source materials.

The reflecting skin

Drenched in southern gothic imagery, the reflecting skin is a tale of a young boy who suspects a local woman is a vampire. After his friends die one by one he begins to fear for his brother (viggo mortensen) who has fallen for the woman.
The reflecting skin is not a vampire film. Its a strange, almost surreal and sun drenched tale of childhood that left me a little baffled until mid way when it clicked. This is shot as a memory of childhood summer from the memories of a serial killer. The childish pranks the kids pull go one step to far for childish pranks, the kids strange reactions to horrifying events all feel off kilter. Its a film I don't think everyone will like but its worth checking out.