View Single Post
Old 9th August 2016, 07:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default Playing catch up # 1

Se7en (1995)

Nobody expected a director who to date had only made one film, the at the time deemed failure Alien 3, and a couple of music videos for Aerosmith and Madonna, to hit home with one of cinemas modern classics. However David Fincher did just that, and to my mind has never come close to bettering this still shocking thriller.

I recall seeing it at the cinema and being wowed from the sinister, in fact downright unnerving, opening credits scored by Nine Inch Nails to the earth shattering climax and everything in between. Although truth be told i don't think the film really clicks into gear until Detective Mills ( a career best Brad Pitt for me) inadvertently invites at odds partner Somerset(Morgan Freeman) round for tea thanks to wife, Gwyneth Paltrow. The scenes of getting to know you are every bit as vital to the film hitting home with it's final gut punch as any of John Doe (Kevin Spacey's) ingenious ways of inflicting death and torture via the seven deadly sins.

Still as remarkable 21 years later as it was in 1995. If you haven't watched it for a while go and give yourself a treat. Films like this don't come around that often.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seven_ver1.jpg (90.5 KB, 4 views)