View Single Post
Old 11th August 2016, 09:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Solomon Kane (2009)

Based on the character created by legendary fantasy author Robert E Howard, he of Conan fame, Kane is a lesser known Puritan hero but no less deserving of celluloid adventures than the more famous muscle bound hero. In fact i'd say Solomon Kane the film is better than any that Conan has featured in at any time.

It's a rather simple film, old fashioned in it's action and indeed it's lack of CGI until the final couple of minutes. Given a new back story, James Purefoy is extremely charismatic as the West Country accented Kane, sworn to devote his life to good and vowing never to kill again after escaping the clutches of hell by the skin of his teeth for past sins.

Although it's never a basic sword and sorcery affair, it's lifted by Purefoy and an outstanding support cast including the ever watchable Pete Postlethwaite, Alice Krige, Max Von Sydow, Jason Fleming, Rachel Hurd-Wood and Mackenzie Crook as well as stunning location filming in the Czech Republic and a rousing score from Klaus Badelt. The film proves solid in a Biblical sense with some potent imagery not just of the church but of the fear of witchcraft which was prevalent when this film was set - 1600.

Not overlong, well plotted with nicely rounded characters you care for, Solomon Kane is in my opinion the best film of this ilk.
Yeah, it's a really good film IMO. I saw an interview with Purefoy where he was talking of their hope that the film would spawn a franchise - which the stories by Howard could certainly support with a bit of jiggery-pokery. As there's been no talk of a sequel since, i presume the film didn't perform well enough.