View Single Post
Old 6th September 2016, 08:00 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

when-worlds-collide-movie-poster-1951-1020143829.jpg

Dave Randall is a pilot from South Africa is hired by an astronomer to deliver some top secret photos to some very important colleagues in the U.S. When he arrives he to his shock he discovers what the top secret pictures show. Hurtling through space on a collision course with earth is a newly discovered star called Bellus. When the collision happens they are convinced that it will destroy the planet but there is a solution to save as many people as possible from the impending doom. When the US astronomers take their research to all the top astronomers of the world they are laughed out of the conference when they propose building rockets that will take a number of people into space to find a new home beyond the stars on a newly discovered planet called Zyra.

After this set back Dr. Hendron meets two millionaires Marston and Spiro who hand over all their assets so the rocket can be built. There is no guarantee that when this rocket is constructed that they will make it to Zyra alive. When the build gets underway Dr. Hendron realises that they are running out of money and he approaches an elderly wheelchair-bound tycoon Sydney Stanton to come up with the rest of the money needed but he only agrees to invest if he is guaranteed a place on the ship but the problem is that space is precious so only the young and skilled men and women of the world are needed on the ship. As Bellus approaches earth all hell breaks loose the water levels rise when the polar ice caps collapse into the ocean and volcanoes erupt and crack burning cities to the ground.

Meanwhile back at the construction site of the rocket a meeting is called where it is announced that a lottery will take place to pick who will get a seat on the ship and a chance of survival but as if things are not complicated enough Dr Hendrons daughter has fallen for Dave Randall but is torn between him and her fiance Dr. Tony Drake. Just before take off the remaining people who lost the lottery decide to revolt and take the ship back by force but is it too little too late for the stranded ? Will the select few reach the new world and what awaits them if they do?

Really enjoyable films with some really good acting and no one hamming it up apart from when we are first introduced to Dave Randall he comes across like a real slimeball but soon that disappears and he becomes a compassionate likeable character. I liked the story and the effects are great for the time the only thing that annoyed me was the conclusion of the love triangle i would of expected some fistycuffs to win the love of the lady but it was way too diplomatic for my liking oh well you can't have it all .

Well worth a look 7/10