View Single Post
Old 11th September 2016, 11:20 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Blue Crush 2 (2011)

Haunted by the memory of her deceased mother, Dana leaves Malibu behind and heads to South Africa to fulfill her mother's dream of surfing Jefferys Bay.

In name only sequel to the 2002 film, this South African set direct to dvd release was a bit of a delight.

Yes the plot is slight, cliche ridden and almost casually deals with many problems that still blight South Africa, such as integration of blacks onto white beaches and the ivory trade and makes them right in the world of Blue Crush 2 at least. But it's all done with such a verve, and rides along on sunny waves of joy that i didn't really care. English actress Sasha Jackson playing the lead role of Dana had such an infectious enthusiasm about her, as did most of the surfer/ beach types that she hung out with, making the film difficult not to like, especially with it's chilled out atmosphere. Even bad girl Tara, Sharni Vinson, came good in the end, however that wasn't difficult to predict.

In among the plot which really is more a young woman's coming of age story disguised as an odyssey, there's some breathtaking cinematography along the South African coast line and excitingly wild surfing sequences.

Blue Crush 2 is one of those feel good films that's actually hard not to enjoy* and i know it's one i'll return to in the future.

*Obviously B_E, Nos and gag, i'm not referring to you three here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue-crush-2-dvd-fr-2d.jpg (105.0 KB, 6 views)