View Single Post
Old 14th September 2016, 01:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I started to watch films which met my birth year challenge criteria as suggested by Gag earlier in the week, I was born in 1977 so I started with Hitch-Hike as I own it and had never seen it, I followed that up with Invasion of the Body Snatchers as a 1978 follow up.

Unfortunately I wasn't really taken with either. Franco Nero was a mess in Hitch-Hike, I don't know if it was an acting/directing choice or he was actually pissed on set, plus him doing his own dubbing was distracting as you couldn't really understand what he was saying for most of the film. Hess, however was fantastic and perhaps this says a lot about me but quite sexy I don't recall much about the film other than those 2 things.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers was a disappointment due to my expectations going in to it. The 50's version is often cited as one of the best Sci-Fi films ever, I wasn't really a fan, and the remake is well received too and quite honestly, apart from some really stand-out moments it bored the pants off me. Donald Sutherland is not even remotely as sexy as David Hess either... I liked a few scenes though, Elizabeth tailing her husband after she becomes suspicious was one, Matthew falling asleep the pods giving birth to the 4 clones, and that famous scream at the very end of the film.

1979 tonight, and I'm either going to watch something clever (Stalker), classy (Vengeance is Mine), or Phantasm...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky