View Single Post
Old 16th September 2016, 06:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Blade Runner (1982)

One of the most influential science fiction films ever. Ridley Scott's masterpiece based on a Phillip K Dick story pits Harrison Ford against dangerous human replicants in a violent eye popping neo noir epic.

Set in an American Chinatown, some sort of cross between LA and New York, in the far off year of 2019, the film sets the design standards of all neon drenched, rain swept metropolis's produced since.

As thought provoking as films come, Scott's film is a compelling noir thriller, it's vibe a total downer and were it not for the futuristic elements, the film would have sat prettily alongside anything from the pens of Hammett or Chandler from years gone by.

Of the cast Harrison Ford gives arguably a career best performance yet is usurped by a definite career best from Rutger Hauer who is exceptional as the blonde humanoid implanted with memories of a youth which never happened. His dramatic finale just jaw dropping as he whiles away his final seconds "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe." he begins, in possibly the greatest quote from 80's cinema.

Over the years the film has had many different guises from the original theatrical cut including a voice over from Ford which gave the film even more of a noirish feel, to a directors cut which dropped the voice over and added more depth allowing the film to feel more focused and finally a work print i still haven't watched even though i've owned a rather extravagant edition of it in a brief case, and what i watched last night, in fact the version i always watch, Ridley Scott's Final Cut. A staggering achievement over which the director had complete artistic control.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blade-Runner_poster_goldposter_com_21 (Large).jpg (90.0 KB, 3 views)