View Single Post
Old 17th September 2016, 10:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Bit of a mixed bag this week...

Dekalog pt 6 aka a Short story About Love - superb. A compelling and intriguing study of obsession, loneliness and the fleeting nature of love, with a real sense of historical and national identity. Yes this is bleak and somewhat depressing but it undoubtedly leaves a lasting impression and is thought-provoking. Looking forward to watching the rest of the set.

Mask Maker - Young couple inexplicably move to a run-down money-pit in backwoods America and run into the local (resurrected in this case) nut-job. Seen this done 100 time before and 100 times better. Nothing to recommend here, sadly.

Children of the Corn II - Full disclosure, this is not a great film, in fact it's probably not even a good film but this is a lot of fun in my opinion. The dialogue is cornier than the fields of Gatlin as is the acting but what saves this are some inventive and, at times, hilarious set pieces. Death by being flattened by your own house, death by being steered into the path of a truck in an electric wheelchair, it's all there! Also, I still find the overall concept of the children turning against the adults quite creepy so I do enjoy the COTC sequels, no matter how crap they may be!