View Single Post
Old 24th September 2016, 06:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

A couple of quickies.

Skyline (2010)

From the brothers Strause, yes them of the ill conceived Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007). Skyline is a fast and frenetic mixture of sci-fi and action. Predominantly set on the rooftops of LA, the film has a decent array of lively set pieces and some original alien invaders as a group of youths battle to survive. Decent cinematography and a downbeat ending should have ensured better fan responses than it originally received.

Island of Lost Souls (1932)

A first time viewing for me and i don't think it fair to do a proper review on a film such as this after just the one watch. However i will say that it's certainly one of the most chilling products to come out of thirties Hollywood with it's Hays code baiting sequences of vivisection on Dr Moreau's grotesque human / animal hybrids.

Charles Laughton as Moreau, whilst down playing made me think of Peter Kay, and Bela Lugosi, even under creature make up comes over as Bela Lugosi. It's set on a Polynesian island for god sake, where did they find a Hungarian ham? Thankfully Kathleen Burke's sexy panther woman makes up for everything.

Fine sets, superb make up and a pacy script ensure i'll be visiting the Island of Lost Souls again quite soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skyline_poster.jpg (80.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg island_of_lost_souls_xlg.jpg (102.9 KB, 2 views)