View Single Post
Old 29th September 2016, 07:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958, USA)

I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)

Bill and Marge are due to get married,but while driving home from his stag party early,Bill thinks he has run over a man only to find it was a dummy,then out of the darkness comes a shimmering apparition.Well Bill and Marge are happily married,but even after a year with no kids on the horizon and an anniversary present that manages to strangle itself (stupid dog),the stress and strains of accidental marrying a Martian are coming to the surface, In fact the film has a very anti marriage feel to it,the Martians seemingly only ever take over men who then take on a zombiefied state (pretty much like a real married man) and when Marge starts to think that there is something wrong with good old Bill,and in fact he is a Martian,even when she goes running around in her under garments telling everyone she is soon dismissed as a crank.Mainly because every one she tells her story to is also a Martian. I Married a Monster from Outer Space is very much in the tradition of Invaders from Mars and Invasion of the Body Snatcher,the lone paranoia of an individual stacked up against an increasingly ominous alien force that has taken on an human form. In fact these Martians unlike a lot of there counter parts are not out to complete destroy human kind,but to in fact impregnate the women and breed a new race.I Married a Monster from Outer Space is a marvellously well made science fiction thriller and is a lot better than its exploitation title would suggest. While it seems to have had a fairly modest budget,the scenes towards the end where the Martians evaporate into a mushy jelly are a bit on z grade side but overall the film achieves a real atmospheric feel,and rises above its limitations to give a solid film that feel very noirish in some parts.