View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2016, 07:54 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Film No.1

large_6vuxwCfBejPfUjMxrPgk0ANmVFq (1).jpg

A medical student goes on a journey in a search of a secluded beach that her recently deceased mother talked about when she was younger in an attempt to bring her closer to the spirit of her mother. When he is dropped of by a local her friend texts her saying that she has hooked up with a random guy and will not be joining her on the most personal and emotional part of the trip. Undeterred Nancy heads out on her board to surf the same waves her mother surfed many years before. Whilst just sitting on her board floating on the water Nancy is overcome by peace and tranquillity and a feeling of closeness to her mother she has not felt since she passed away. But these feelings of joy don't last long when not far from shore Nancy is attacked by a great white shark only metres from the shore. She manages to swim to a small cluster of rocks but she is only safe until the high tide comes.

With an influx of stupid shark movies over the last few years like robo-octo-zombie-ghost-shark-da-puss i was excited to see an actual real shark movie and right off the bat i was pretty impressed the acting was solid granted there are only a few actors but the few that were in on show were very convincing especially Nancy she really made you believe her pain ,fear,isolation and desperation. But the honeymoon period was short lived and what started out as a survival against one of nature's most deadliest predators just became ridiculous the jellyfish scene being one of the most ridiculous but i'll say no more to avoid spoilers.

The Shallows gets a 6/10 the first two acts are really good and interesting but sadly the third act was a major let down after such a promising start.