View Single Post
Old 5th October 2016, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

House of Frankenstein (1944)

I'll keep this brief. Seeing as this was playing in the Firefly household i followed House of 1000 Corpses with this Universal monster fest. As much as i love these monster mash ups they all tend to blur into one with me, i did however know there was a bit of a turkey among them and this is it.

How can a film starring Boris Karloff, Lon Chaney Jr reprising his Larry Talbot / Wolf Man role and John Carradine be a bit of a turkey? Well the answer is the monsters don't make an appearance until the final ten minutes and the only one that does, Carradine's Dracula is a sloppy parody.

Karloff, Chaney Jr and J. Carrol Naish as the faithful hunchback Daniel, try their best with a workmanlike script that plays more like a portmanteau than a straight forward film with the dalliances with each of the famed monsters in each tale. Dracula for example doesn't even make it past the half hour mark. The quicksand ending is frankly embarrassing to boot. Thankfully things would be better with the next years follow up film House of Dracula.