View Single Post
Old 6th October 2016, 08:15 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Black Death (2010)

Before watching Black Death, Christopher Smith was either a hit or miss director with me.

Creep I found to be derivative nonsense, whilst Triangle a work of art which gave me chills - and still continues to do so on re-watches. Black Death sits somewhere more towards the Creep end of the Spectrum unfortunately.

I would have expected a film about the bubonic plague and witchcraft to be both more plague-y and witch-y, although I am a little bit of a sucker for medieval tales with horror-ish undertones, so with that in mind I did take to the overall aesthetic quite nicely.

However, the bitter pill to swallow in this for me is not only the lack of witchiness but the puritan nature that the film is put across. Our 'heroes' (read: mercenaries and a monk) being nothing more than tools of the church and the villagers who have used 'magic' (read: medicinal techniques) to be free of plague along with keeping outsiders at bay who may aid to spread the disease being painted as ignorant savage cultists. The plague-spreading mercenaries on the other hand who blindly follow their god are cast in a more just light and whom we are encouraged to feel empathy for. Perhaps the point in some ways, but the tone was just a little too 'off' for me to ignore... that and the ending (which I won't spoil) does leave a bit of a nasty aftertaste. Luckily I had some witches' brew on hand to wash it away.

41/100