View Single Post
Old 14th October 2016, 10:07 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
If there is another monster in The Bride of Frankenstein, I would contend it is Dr Pretorius, beautifully essayed by Ernest Thesiger, who cleverly manipulates Henry Frankenstein into creating another reanimated human being. He is such a wonderfully funny and sinister person, someone who elicits fear and laughs due to his many vices and interactions with 'The Monster' (with Karloff arguably giving a finer performance in this film than the 1931 classic).

I love both of them for different reasons, with Frankenstein as probably the simpler and purer horror film, and Bride of Frankenstein as one which is probably deeper, with more humour, a more personal film for James Whale, and one which is blessed with a better score, make-up effects, production and art design, and camerawork than the original.
You often look at things from a technical point of view following your film studies whereas i'm purely in it for the entertainment and couldn't give a monkeys if it was a personal film for Whale.

You still haven't reviewed The Haunting of Annie Dyer yet by the way. A film that gets a whopping 1.6 / 10 on IMDB. Without actively looking for the films with the worst ever scores i think that is the lowest i've ever come across myself.