Thread: Sammo Hung
View Single Post
Old 29th November 2009, 01:44 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Big fan of Sammo, though I think the reason why he hasn't taken on over here is due to his preference for Chinese style comedy. Simple fact is the majority of western audiences just don't like it. It's, frankly, too childish and slapstick for the general Westerner who would be attracted to a no-holds barred action movie.

This is what Tony Jaa has avoided and look where it's got him. Sure he stars in comedies like The Bodyguard - but titles like that don't sell that well outside of the Asian territories.

But older, wiser Sammo of SPL and Fatal Move has certainly made him the one to watch these days. Though Yuen Biao was always attracted to dark material, it's good to see that Sammo and Jackie have caught up and turned to the darkside!

Though i still haven't got the (brief) sex scene from Shinjuku Incident out of my head yet, that was a total shock to my system seeing Jackie getting freaky! lol.

As for Sammo, SPL is my favourite performance of his as he's just so bad ass, that goatee is killer. Eastern Condors is possibly my favourite film of his though - it's just such a tough movie! Full contact, balls-to-the-wall action and some great, great stunts from the whole cast.