View Single Post
Old 15th October 2016, 04:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Midnight Cowboy (1969)

I watched this for the very first time last night. Jon Voight stars as a Texan who has a gift with the ladies, thinking he'll find a rich woman to live with he sets off to New York as a hustler. He soon comes across the snaky Ratzo Rizzo (Dustin Hoffman) a fellow down n' out who rips him off but they soon become friends.

As the end credits rolled i was left in an unusual frame of mind, similar to when i first saw Easy Rider, a film from that very same year. I don't know if it was the similarities in characters being basically two outcasts looking out for one another in a hostile world or maybe the music - Harry Nilsson's Everybody's Talkin' could have been lifted direct from Easy Rider or just the general feel that director John Schlesinger gives the film which gave me laughs, joy, despair and basically everything a film can do. Most likely all these things combined.

No matter the reason i think Midnight Cowboy will be a film i return to with steady frequency as there's a lot to take in and more than meets the eye on a first viewing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Midnight_Cowboy.jpg (27.8 KB, 7 views)