View Single Post
Old 20th October 2016, 12:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I echo Demdike's sentiments about your review of Hannibal, Mac. It's a film I haven't seen in a long time but, when I did, remember liking some of it, but not others. I love Julianne Moore as an actress, but it was jarring to adjust to her, rather than Jodie Foster, playing Clarice Starling. Thinking back, it is probably Giancarlo Giannini, who was recently found fame in a couple of the Bond films, who impressed me the most.

I should probably revisit all the Hannibal Lecter/Lecktor films in chronological order, starting with Hannibal Rising, then Red Dragon and Manhunter, then The Silence of the Lambs, and finally Hannibal. The one I'm least looking forward to watching is Hannibal Rising, a film which left me distinctly underwhelmed at the cinema (the revelation about the reason for Hannibal Lecter's psychopathy and predilection for eating human flesh was a complete WTF? moment which really didn't make sense).
I honestly don't remember much of Hannibal Rising. My friend said it was horrible so I had a few drinks and went to an empty screening of it. I know I laughed a lot but I'm not sure why.

Red Dragon is meh to me. It lacks the exploration of identity that Manhunter explored - Dollarhyde creates an alter-ego in which he feels safe as he is the most powerful incarnation in this world. Graham is worried that he is losing his identity to this powerful force.

Also, Brian Cox is just magnificent as Lecktor.

For me the preference goes:

- Manhunter
- Hannibal
- Hannibal (TV series)
- The Silence of the Lambs
- Red Dragon
- Hannibal Rising

Also, Giannini does have the most complex role. He commits an evil deed yet he does so out of love more than malice.