View Single Post
Old 22nd October 2016, 04:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Pay the Ghost (2015)

From IMDB -
Quote:
One year after Mike Lawford's young son disappeared during a Halloween carnival, he is haunted by eerie images and terrifying messages he can't explain. Together with his estranged wife, he will stop at nothing to unravel the mystery and find their son-and, in doing so, he unearths a legend that refuses to remain buried in the past.
Nicolas Cage, as with Johnny Depp, is one of those actors who seem to divide cult fans down the middle. He's either loved or basically disliked. As for myself i think on the whole he's excellent, in fact two of his movies - Con Air and Leaving Las Vegas - i rate very highly indeed.

Cage's main problem is he can go over the top with his histrionics however he reels it all in for Pay the Ghost and is rather subdued. The film as a whole is rather subdued. It's a slow burner and the first half hour is all in the acting hands of Cage and co-star Sarah Wayne Callies whom i expect many of you know from The Walking Dead. Playing out as a mystery about missing children it then takes a left turn at the half way point as elements of the supernatural and the Celtic festival of Samhain begin to take precedence, which made the film a more interesting proposition.

Thankfully Pay the Ghost isn't the usual FX fest riddled with musical jump scares, the CGI is kept to a minimum and really only comes in towards the end but it brings a nightmare scenario to life rather than anything else.

I enjoyed Pay the Ghost, it held my attention throughout and the Halloween mythology ensured it will get many more viewings over forthcoming October horrorfests.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAY_THE_GHOST_2D_DVD_2.jpg (100.3 KB, 5 views)