View Single Post
Old 27th October 2016, 08:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

May (2002)

Lucky McKee's directorial debut and one he has never bettered as of yet. May is a psychological horror film about a young woman who had a difficult childhood and very few social interactions. May's only true friend is a doll in a glass case given to her by her mother. She works at the animal hospital assisting with surgeries and her only possible friend is receptionist and colleague Polly who flirts with her. May soon strikes up a relationship with a guy who apparently likes 'weird' and May is certainly weird....

I'm going to stop there or i'll have written the entire plot outline.

May is an excellent horror film. A standout performance from Angela Bettis is at the centre of the film as she sweeps all before her with her quirky looks and mannerisms. Although Anna Faris, someone who seems more bonkers than May, is great as Polly too and could easily have stolen the film had Bettis given a lesser performance.

As the film goes on we become emotionally involved with May, or at least i did. It's quite a tragic film at times and must resonate with a lot of lonely souls. Other scenes will have you squirming yet unable to take your eyes away from the screen, especially the blind children scrabbling about in the glass. Bettis goes from timid mouse to terrifyingly sexy Goth chic (Am i the only one who found killing spree May in her claret dress extremely erotic? - Perhaps it's best not to answer that one) as the film explodes in a brutal orgy of violence and a final act that i won't spoil here.