View Single Post
Old 14th November 2016, 03:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
The blame is also with the BBC, who totally cocked up the transmission time for the last series - it was on much too late for a lot of the potential audience. Sadly, crap like 'Strictly' now dominates the autumn schedule, and this dictates what time other programmes are broadcast

I have mentioned before that I think Capaldi is a wonderful Doctor. I know it's going to be a controversial statement, but in my opinion, he is the best of the Nu-Who actors

Steven Moffat has made the show too convoluted now. With Russell T., and classic series stories like 'The Key To Time' and 'Trial Of A Time Lord', the arc was not as prevalent as it is now. With Moffat it is very much IN-YOUR-FACE... now what shall I make the actual story about?

[Off topic - I have been watching 'Sherlock' recently, and at the end of each story, I am saying to Chloe "it's much too clever for it's own good". That same criticism can be laid at the feet of Doctor Who under Moffat]
I do think SM thinks of an idea then doesn't know where to take it. The last finale was a case in point. Following the fascinating Hell Bent we ended up on Gallifrey with the Time Lords returning then he didn't know what to do with them. I mean, what we saw on screen was really poor, hardly the event television RT-D would have come up with. Hell, having Gallifrey invaded by some strips of tin foil was more exciting television.

I too rate Capaldi. I loved loads of his stories but there have been far too many damp squibs. They should never have gone with the unlikable Doctor of series 8. Even though i thought it was great and still do the audience didn't and didn't bother coming back in numbers for series 9 although that could be blamed on the shiteness that was Death in Heaven. Which in turn was another brilliant idea - Cybermen created from the dead and set up superbly in Dark Water but no idea where to take the story and in the end it just fizzled out.

Matt Smith is my fave nu-Who Doctor. I just love his portrayal, his mannerisms, his interaction with people like Craig, he's just a joy to watch.

I do like Sherlock, it just got too convoluted towards the end of series 3 and the Abominable Bride. The Mind Palace stuff is and will always be bollocks in my opinion.