View Single Post
Old 18th November 2016, 09:39 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
There's a feeling that Doctor Who could be in the dock with Chibnall as the new show runner. Who knows, maybe the axe will fall "if" Chibnall's series doesn't get the sort of ratings the BBC expects. I feel the clock is ticking on Doctor Who.
I can't agree on that last point or the BBC wouldn't be demanding a series a year. It's the biggest money spinner the BBC have in terms of world wide popularity. The fact they can't release a new series set this Autumn makes me think it was one of the reasons for the animated Dalek dvd.

I do agree that Moffat has turned the show into something it isn't. You mentioned the Silurians, actually when i remembered, it clarified that the Silurians from Cold Blood weren't the same species as the ones in Wensley Caves. The ice Warrior should definitely have remained in it's armour.

My gripe is the Cybermen being reduced to cannon fodder in stories. Then when they get a suitably menacing comeback he didn't know what to do with them. When i saw the Dalek Paradigm at the stage show i thought they were ****ing awesome. In fact i think that's possibly one of the reasons, as well as merchandising, that they were designed, so they'd look massive on a stage. Don't smirk at the back there, that stage show was a big deal and toured the world's arenas.

That promo campaign - Just the Doctor and Clara, off in the TARDIS, same old same old really didn't help either. I can't imagine RT-D ever going down that route as with him it was always 'event television'. I do fear if the Christmas special isn't teasered promisingly then series 10 will flop. However with a new show runner, new Doctor and new companion, i'd expect it to regain public interest as season 11 comes along.

Finally, Mark Gatiss is a brilliant writer. His horror documentaries, Crooked House and The Tractate Middoth as well as some Sherlock and Doctor Who stories such as The Unquiet Dead prove that. Maybe if Moffat had given decent outlines in the first place?