View Single Post
Old 4th December 2016, 04:09 PM
Cult Addict

I watched Poltergeist quite a few times on TV when i was about aged 10 onwards, certain parts are really effective. Mostly the tree and clown scene in the middle and the end swimming pool, also the "There here build up' other scenes such as the bathroom mirror bit that freaked me out as a kid have lost something with the advance of effects and such like.

I'm much more freaked out by ghost stuff as i get older, it's probably the only horror film theme that gets to me now, apart from thinking that the extreme angle of cinema is much too realistic to be entertaining most of the time these days.

I also like Poltergeist 2 which i feel lost some of the Spielberg influence with the drinking maggot and puking up a Giger creation scene. actually as i grew older i kinda grew to like the second one more. The third one has always seemed like a pile of shite to me though.

As to the Goonies i must confess i really enjoy it, seeing it at the cinema as a 10 year old kid and all. It spoke to my sense of adventure. But i can see that it is a 'had to be there' kind of film.

I'm actually not sure that half of the people on here that slag the Goonies off have actually seen it. If you watch it it should be seen as a kids version of raiders of the lost ark, not as sophisticated but just a bit of treasure hunting escapist fun.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.